[Fwd: newbie nameserver]

rkloots rkloots at csf.nl
Mon Jan 17 23:59:35 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     >> I can't figure out what's wrong with my primary nameserver
>     >> ns.csf.nl.  Which is hosted On a Solaris2.6
>
> The zone file you posted looks OK. However the contents of that file
> don't seem to be what's in the DNS for your zone. Two name servers are
> advertised for your zone, ns.nl.net and ns.csf.nl. Both of them say
> that ns.csf.nl is a CNAME for asterix.csf.nl. This is wrong. The
> target of an NS record should be an A record. It cannot be a CNAME.
>
> I've just taken a copy of this zone from ns.csf.nl. It has both an A
> record and CNAME for ns.csf.nl. This is illegal. A name that exists as
> a CNAME cannot exist as any other record type. So, if you remove that
> CNAME and update the zone's serial number, you should be OK when you
> reload the zone.

So now I believe to have corrected this, how does 'zone-transfer' work?
I mean how can one force the secondary nameserver to take up the change
without having to wait for the regular refresh interval in db.csf.nl -
bearing in
mind that I don't have control over this secondary?

After thought: i've seen the subject synchronisation pass by, will flick
through that.

> The numbering scheme for the zone's serial number is rather odd - most
> people use the YYYYMMDDVV convention - but if it makes sense to you...

Hmm, The number was originally generated by SUN Netra software. I'll use
your suggestion from now on. Thanks!

--
| CSF                                                               |
| Ligusterbes 13  | Tel: +31(0)71 5220633 | email: rkloots at csf.nl   |