Bind Newbie has questions about CNAMEs

Michael Schwager schwager at enteract.com
Sun Jan 16 19:22:35 UTC 2000

Hi,            (this article refers to Bind 8.2.2p5)
I'm setting up my own domain, "schwager.com".  I would like to create a
CNAME to alias "schwager.com" to one of my hosts.  So I create the
db.schwager file and in it I have:
schwager.com.           IN NS   mirabai.schwager.com.
schwager.com.           IN NS   rumi.schwager.com.
;
; Hosts
;
localhost.schwager.com. IN A    127.0.0.1
mirabai.schwager.com.   IN A    207.229.137.177
; Aliases
;
www.schwager.com.       IN CNAME        mirabai.schwager.com.
schwager.com.           IN CNAME        mirabai.schwager.com.

Doing nslookup, I see:

Default Server:  mirabai.schwager.com
Address:  207.229.137.177

> schwager.com
Server:  mirabai.schwager.com
Address:  207.229.137.177

*** mirabai.schwager.com can't find schwager.com: Server failed
> www.schwager.com
Server:  mirabai.schwager.com
Address:  207.229.137.177

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    mirabai.schwager.com
Address:  207.229.137.177
Aliases:  www.schwager.com

I guess I'm non-authoritative because I haven't changed me with the
Internic, but I'm wondering why the server would fail?  I don't see
anything in the log file.

It works ok if I make schwager.com to be an A record.
--
-Mike Schwager                         -o)
 schwager at enteract.com                 /\\