[Fwd: newbie nameserver]

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 17 16:06:09 UTC 2000

    >> I can't figure out what's wrong with my primary nameserver
    >> ns.csf.nl.  Which is hosted On a Solaris2.6

The zone file you posted looks OK. However the contents of that file
don't seem to be what's in the DNS for your zone. Two name servers are
advertised for your zone, ns.nl.net and ns.csf.nl. Both of them say
that ns.csf.nl is a CNAME for asterix.csf.nl. This is wrong. The
target of an NS record should be an A record. It cannot be a CNAME.

I've just taken a copy of this zone from ns.csf.nl. It has both an A
record and CNAME for ns.csf.nl. This is illegal. A name that exists as
a CNAME cannot exist as any other record type. So, if you remove that
CNAME and update the zone's serial number, you should be OK when you
reload the zone.

The numbering scheme for the zone's serial number is rather odd - most
people use the YYYYMMDDVV convention - but if it makes sense to you...