Infinite Cache Cleaning

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jan 12 23:14:31 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 06:05:22PM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 07:58:51PM -0800, Mark Olbert wrote:
> > I just had a very odd Linux system lockup:  my syslog file
> > (/var/log/messages) was expanded enormously by a seemingly
> > never-ending series of 'cache cleaned' messages from named.
> Do you by any chance have a non-Y2K-compliant BIOS, that shoots your
> system WAY into the future whenever you boot?  There was a recent query
> with exactly those symptoms, and with that as the cause.
>
> Just because you're running Linux doesn't mean that you have nothing to
> worry about from Y2K!

Sorry, perhaps it's obvious that I'm several days behind in my BIND
mail.  The "other" system was YOURS.  You wrote about it again, but
under a different subject line!  One that was more interesting, so I
looked at it before this message.  ;-)

The additional information was obviously useful, and the subject line
gave the answer.  But I wish somehow that the messages had been more
obviously connected ... something like "Non Y2K ... [WAS: Infinite ...].
I answered this one only because it looked like nobody else had.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B