Bind on NON Y2K Compliant System

Mark Olbert mark at arcabama.com
Fri Jan 7 05:56:26 UTC 2000

I'm running bind (v8+) on a linux system which I believe is not Y2K
compliant (meaning that the hardware is not Y2K compliant). I say this
because whenever I try to set the hardware clock to a date in January,
2000, the date shows up (upon reboot) as being in January, 2094.

I am also running into a problem where nslookup will hang (frequently,
but not always), because the dns cache is being continually emptied
(e.g. I presume that's what thousands of 'cache cleared of 0 RRs'
messages in my /var/log/message file mean).

When I reset my system hardware clock to January 1999, the problem
appears to go away.

Is the cache-clearing problem conceivably a result of my system not
being Y2K compliant? I suspect bind is comparing my system clock to
the "expiration dates" in the various nameservers it talks to, and is
trying to reload "up to date" dns info -- but can't get late enough
(i.e., circa 2094!) info upon update.

Or do I have two separate problems, a non-compliant system and some
kind of configuration error in my dns?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

- Mark