DNS - Year 2043 apocalypse ;-)

Stephen Berg sberg at pangaealink.com
Thu Jan 6 18:19:04 UTC 2000

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:05:59 -0500, Alex Miller wrote:

>A problem I have with serial numbers is that
>I am actually very forgetful about sequencing
>and my update the serial number repeatedly
>during the same editing session, or forget
>entirely. I'd like to be able to deduce the
>time when I dig the number. If I'm going
>to serialize the entry, I might as well
>use plain old serial numbers, 1..2..3 and
>forget the date entirely.

Well you'd have the same problem using minutes and seconds if you
forget to increment the serial # in the zone file.  You could always
add the actual time behind a # character so it would be a comment.
That way you get a usuable serial # and a time stamp in the form of a
comment.

                            Stephen Berg
//-    USAF Instructor  -/-  Reluctant NT User -/- Web Designer    -//
//-                 Home = sberg at mississippi.com                   -//
//-               Work = berg.stephen at keesler.af.mil               -//
//-     http://iceberg.3c0x1.com/   -/-   http://www.3c0x1.com     -//