DNS - Year 2043 apocalypse ;-)

Alex Miller bind-users at bannerclub.com
Thu Jan 6 18:05:59 UTC 2000

Ah, now I get it. SS is serial number not seconds.

I think that it would make more sense to call
that format YYYYMMDD## rather than YYYYMMDDSS
since SS means seconds in YYYYMMDDHHSS

A problem I have with serial numbers is that
I am actually very forgetful about sequencing
and my update the serial number repeatedly
during the same editing session, or forget
entirely. I'd like to be able to deduce the
time when I dig the number. If I'm going
to serialize the entry, I might as well
use plain old serial numbers, 1..2..3 and
forget the date entirely.

There is a solution, that is very similar.
YYYYMMDD&& where && is derived from a
quarter hour table.

Time  &&
00:00 01
00:15 02
00:30 03
00:45 04
01:00 05
01:15 06
01:30 07
01:45 08
02:00 09
02:15 10
02:30 11
02:45 12
03:00 13
03:15 14
03:30 15
03:45 16
04:00 17
04:15 18
04:30 19
04:45 20
05:00 21
05:15 22
05:30 23
05:45 24
06:00 25
06:15 26
06:30 27
06:45 28
07:00 29
07:15 30
07:30 31
07:45 32
08:00 33
08:15 34
08:30 35
08:45 36
09:00 37
09:15 38
09:30 39
09:45 40
10:00 41
10:15 42
10:30 43
10:45 44
11:00 45
11:15 46
11:30 47
11:45 48
12:00 49
12:15 50
12:30 51
12:45 52
13:00 53
13:15 54
13:30 55
13:45 56
14:00 57
14:15 58
14:30 59
14:45 60
15:00 61
15:15 62
15:30 63
15:45 64
16:00 65
16:15 66
16:30 67
16:45 68
17:00 69
17:15 70
17:30 71
17:45 72
18:00 73
18:15 74
18:30 75
18:45 76
19:00 77
19:15 78
19:30 79
19:45 80
20:00 81
20:15 82
20:30 83
20:45 84
21:00 85
21:15 86
21:30 87
21:45 88
22:00 89
22:15 90
22:30 91
22:45 92
23:00 93
23:15 94
23:30 95
23:45 96

Then when I'm trying to figure out wether my slave
server should be updated or not according to the
refresh time I can examine the file date time
stamp of my zone files, the serial date from
the dig on master and slave, the refresh interval
on master and slave, and not try to remember
wether or not I increased an arbitrary number
based on number of edits.

Alex Miller