Broken ipchains

G. Roderick Singleton gsingleton at home.com
Sat Jan 1 22:43:27 UTC 2000

Bruce Ordway wrote:

> Well, I hink I've found the problem. Since I didn't get any replies to this
> I can guess that either nobody had any idea what I needed to do to fix this,
> or it is not a topic of interest in this newsgroup. Anyway, since I started
> this, I figured I would share with you all what I have found.
>
> I had tried setting up DNS on a Linux box that was already running ipchains.
> It was resolving names OK but my Win98 client went wacko & was timing out. I
> finally manually put entries in the host files of the server and the client
> and things started working again. So, even though DNS appeared to be
> working, it was screwing things up. Sure enough, when I reviewed the
> configuration files (that I built) they were all screwed up.
>
> Along the way I was pointed to a great site for DNS,
> http://www.menandmice.com/index.htm.
>
> Their site states that 3 out of 4 DNS servers in the world are set up
> incorrectly. They have tools for sale that will help you diagnose your DNS.
> I downloaded the 7 day trial and it pointed out a few things I still have to
> fix.
>
> Anyway, I'm on the road to recovery now.
>
> Now maybe I can get back to my original project, sendmail.
>
> Bruce

Interesting only to windows weenies and mac hacks.  Nothing for
the rest of us with real OSs
G. Roderick Singleton, <gsingleton at home.com> PATH tech,
71 Underhill Drive, Unit 159, Toronto, ON  M3A 2J8
Voice : 416-452-4583 Fax: 416-452-0036 Toll Free: 1-800-354-PATH

*** Notice To Bulk Emailers: Attention!  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any & all unsolicited commercial e-mail
sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of the $1500 US and copies will be forwarded to domain
administrators.  Emailing denotes acceptance of said terms!