Broken ipchains

Bruce Ordway ordway at uswest.net
Sat Jan 1 16:37:05 UTC 2000

Well, I hink I've found the problem. Since I didn't get any replies to this
I can guess that either nobody had any idea what I needed to do to fix this,
or it is not a topic of interest in this newsgroup. Anyway, since I started
this, I figured I would share with you all what I have found.

I had tried setting up DNS on a Linux box that was already running ipchains.
It was resolving names OK but my Win98 client went wacko & was timing out. I
finally manually put entries in the host files of the server and the client
and things started working again. So, even though DNS appeared to be
working, it was screwing things up. Sure enough, when I reviewed the
configuration files (that I built) they were all screwed up.

Along the way I was pointed to a great site for DNS,
http://www.menandmice.com/index.htm.

Their site states that 3 out of 4 DNS servers in the world are set up
incorrectly. They have tools for sale that will help you diagnose your DNS.
I downloaded the 7 day trial and it pointed out a few things I still have to
fix.

Anyway, I'm on the road to recovery now.

Now maybe I can get back to my original project, sendmail.

Bruce