Chroot Logging Question (not just about syslog in chroot :-) )

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at peregrinehw.com
Sat Feb 26 18:51:25 UTC 2000

I am running Redhat 5.2, heavily modified, with BIND 8.2.2P5.  I am running
BIND in chroot mode.

I have the following in my chrooted /etc/named.conf.

logging {
        channel default_log {
                file "/var/log/named.log";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;                 // timestamp log entries
                print-category yes;             // print category name
                print-severity yes;             // print severity level
        };

        category default { default_log; };
        category lame-servers { null; };
        category cname { null; };
        category response-checks { null; };
};

When updating a DNS Zone File, I typically send a SIGHUP to named to
have it reload the zone files that are changed.  Using a SIGHUP still
works, but I no longer get a message in my chroot /var/log/named.log
that says anying except:

26-Feb-2000 18:05:24.611 default: notice: reloading nameserver

I'm looking for the messages that I used to receive via syslog such as:

Feb 10 14:35:13 intel2 named[266]: reloading nameserver
Feb 10 14:35:13 intel2 named[266]: master zone "rockscene.com" (IN) loaded (serial 2000021001)

Sorry if this is simple, I've spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with
this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

--
Kevin A. McGrail    "Who needs sleep?    Well you're   -- )- )- ) ) )-- ) )--
10311 Cascade Lane       never gonna get get it! Who   ---- )---- )-- )------