running 2 instances of named?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Feb 22 15:23:35 UTC 2000

In article <38B1B0A4.4A1FD9E2 at humanet.se>,
Joakim Schramm  <joakim at humanet.se> wrote:
>Huu, you mean just have 2 identical zonefiles, just differ the domain
>name? I know this can be done, but what about the
>0.0.0.127.in-addr-arpa. zone file? Can I list records for both domains
>there, A and/or NS?

Huh?  That zone file should just contain an entry for "localhost":

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  PTR  localhost.

Nothing about your domain needs to be in there, and it doesn't need to be
changed as you migrate from currdomain.com to newdomain.com.

>I've got into my mind that this zonefile in some reflect the FQDN of the
>box, but I might got that wrong.

You do.

>What I want is simply this: now all my virtual domains have their
>pointer to ns.currdomain.com on ip 1.2.3.4 and I will change their
>pointer to ns.newdomain.com on ip 1.2.3.4 (all fictive data ofcause),
>but need to have the new ns up before so change can take place smoothly
>without disturbance for the virtual domain owners. The currdomain.com
>will then "retire" as ns, but continue live as an ordinary virtual
>domain, just serving web and mail for that domain.

Since the IP address isn't changing, the name doesn't really matter.  All
that matters is that other servers can follow the chain from the NS records
of the domains to the IP address of the server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com