selective recursion in named operation?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Feb 9 19:54:29 UTC 2000

In article <ih8s78.ac.ln at localhost.localdomain>,
 <a2290 at serdis.dis.ulpgc.es> wrote:
>I have a real problem. Someone wants me to do this:
>configuring a BIND 8.2-based name server so that it behaves
>recursively whenever the query comes from the zone
>it is authoritative, but it must answer non-recursively otherwise.
>I think this is not possible. Isn't it?
>Please, tell me how to do it, if you think there's
>some possibility.

Maybe the problem is that English isn't your native language, but what do
you mean by "behave recursively whenever the query comes from the zone it
is authoritative"?  If a server is authoritative for a zone, it will never
recurse for data in that zone, since it knows the answer (that's what
"authoritative" means).

Do you mean that it should recurse if the query comes from a client machine
whose name is in a zone that it's authoritative for?  BIND doesn't have
such a feature.  You can configure the allow-recursion option to specify
who can perform recursive queries by IP address, but not by domain name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com