wildcard mx & authority

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 7 20:07:43 UTC 2000

BIND 8 ignores data in zone files which is outside the zone. So you can't put
"bigcompany.com" data in the "joe.com" zonefile and have the nameserver accept
it.

The solution to the problem? If you have an internal root, you could add the
"bigcompany.com" wildcards there, although some people regard this practice as
Evil and Wrong (hi Jim! :-).

Or you could use something other than MX records to route the mail to
bigcompany.com, e.g. mailertables or whatever. In this case, you might want to
consider supplementing the architecture with a "smarthost" arrangement to
reduce the maintenance burden to a minimum (downside: more servers in the
processing pipeline of every mail message)...

- Kevin