My DNS appears to append?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 7 18:58:41 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000207115115.20402C-100000 at vision.mtco.com>,
Andy Walden  <andy at tigerteam.net> wrote:
>Actually I realize now that nslookup adds a . to the end of any query. The
>problem now boils down to I can't resolve the domain afaw.af.mil from a
>specific nameserver and apparently their nameservers
>(ns01.afaw.af.mil, ns01...) cannot resolve mine (mtco.com)?
>Any thoughts? Thanks.

Are you sure this domain really exists?  The master server for af.mil
doesn't know about it:

% dig afaw.af.mil ns @mars.af.mil

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> afaw.af.mil ns @mars.af.mil
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 1, Addit: 0
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	afaw.af.mil, type = NS, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
af.mil.	86400	SOA	mars.af.mil. dnsman.afnoc.af.mil. (
			2000020302	; serial
			43200	; refresh (12 hours)
			900	; retry (15 mins)
			604800	; expire (7 days)
			86400 )	; minimum (1 day)

;; Total query time: 125 msec
;; FROM: tools to SERVER: mars.af.mil  131.63.50.1
;; WHEN: Mon Feb  7 13:57:21 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 29  rcvd: 89

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com