dig works, but nslookup fails?

pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com
Wed Feb 2 08:22:51 UTC 2000

Here are the two results:

> www.go-fly.com.
Server:  qthvs5.qthv.quintiles.com
Address:  10.xx.xx.xx

;; res_mkquery(0, www.go-fly.com, 1, 1)
timeout (5 secs)
timeout (10 secs)
timeout (20 secs)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 40100, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.go-fly.com, type = A, class = IN

------------
*** qthvs5.qthv.quintiles.com can't find www.go-fly.com.: Server failed

And now for DIG:

WorkStation root at qthvs5# dig  www.go-fly.com.

; <<>> DiG 2.0 <<>> www.go-fly.com.
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY , status: NOERROR, id: 7
;; flags: qr rd ra ; Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      www.go-fly.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
www.go-fly.com. 86061   A       62.172.48.2

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
GO-FLY.com.     172461  NS      NS0.BT.NET.
GO-FLY.com.     172461  NS      NS1.BT.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
NS0.BT.NET.     140779  A       194.72.6.51
NS1.BT.NET.     140779  A       194.72.6.52

;; Sent 2 pkts, answer found in time: 188 msec
;; FROM: qthvs5 to SERVER: default -- 10.52.51.51
;; WHEN: Wed Feb  2 08:14:16 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 132

I understand SERVFAIL, here's a cut and paste from Barry Margolin:

SERVFAIL means that the server isn't able to answer properly for some
reason.  It can come from a caching server if it didn't get an answer from
any of the servers that the domain is delegated to.  It can also come from
a server if it notices that the domain is delegated to itself, but it
doesn't have the zone loaded and the answer isn't in its cache.

What I'm not sure about is the resolver issue. Obviously, the server NS0.BT.NET.
is resovling correctly, but only to DIG. Therefore, there must be difference
between 'nslookup'  and 'dig'. ( Oh really!). I have read that 'dig' uses a
different resolver resource. Could this be the answer?

Is it possible to upgrade resolvers separately, or only by upgrading the BIND
can you upgrade the resolver?

Cheers.

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> on 01/02/2000 18:38:08