dig works, but nslookup fails?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 1 18:38:08 UTC 2000

pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com wrote:

> I currently have BIND 4.9.4, and will be upgrading, almost immediately, however
> I have a question.
>
> My current server fails with nslookup on some sites, so I downloaded dig. About
> time you say. I agree!
>
> Question: My nslookup fails, but DIG resolves the site:
>
> Example sites I'm having trouble with are:
>
> www.go-fly.com
> www.pharmweb.net
>
> Is the resolver the problem causing nslookup and the named server to fail? I
> have read that DIG uses other resources for its resovler. Is this true?
>
> If that's the case, can I simple upgrade my resolver somehow?

I can resolve both of those using nslookup (the first time I queried
www.pharmweb.net, the query timed out, but the answer must have made it late back
to the local nameserver, since it was in cache when I queried it a few seconds
later).

What does nslookup's debug mode tell you? Are the queries just timing out? Maybe
the only difference is in the timeout settings for DiG versus nslookup...

- Kevin