Installing newer version of bind

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 28 01:47:34 UTC 2000

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 06:27:44AM +0000, DMANBALL wrote:
> I'm a newbie to running BIND on Solaris(or any platform).  I would like to
> upgrade my BIND software to the newest version but I have some questions. 1. to
> install a new version of BIND do I need to delete the currnet version I have
> running? 2) If I delete my old version of BIND do I need to keep any of othe
> present files. 3) If the answer was yes which files do I need to keep? Thanks
> in advance

I guess you're a newbie to installing any software upgrade, eh?  ;-)

BIND is configured to install in certain directories.  Look in
src/port/solaris/Makefile.set to learn which ones.  If you change these
before starting the compile-and-install process, then it will install
wherever you tell it to.  Within reason.

Your existing BIND software is installed in various directories,
primarily /usr/sbin and /usr/bin.  If you are installing into the same
directories, you might want to rename the old copies into something
like named-xfer.old, nslookup.old, ...  the exception being 'named'
itself, which on Solaris is called in.named for some reason.  If you're
installing into different directories, no problem - just make sure that
you either disable or delete the old versions after installation, or
guarantee that the new versions' directories are always in users'
$PATHs before the old versions' directories.  That can be hard.

Your existing 'named' configuration file is /etc/named.boot.  You
should save this, and use 'named-bootconf' to transform it into an
/etc/named.conf file.  This works pretty well:
	named-bootconf < /etc/named.boot > /etc/named.conf
In this file is named a directory that contains the zone files.  The
zone files can be used as-is, if they are scrupulously to standards.
If not, your new version of 'named' will put error messages in the
logfile.  Usually any errors (such as using '_' in host names) are
easily detected and fixed.  You also need to move your TTL outside the
SOA record, as the TTL line is now the negative TTL line.  Just add
this to the beginning of each zone file:

$TTL		1d

[1d is one day] or whatever value suits you:

$TTL		1w0d14h2m40s

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B