[Fwd: Fwd: Can Bind 8 Listen On My Modem IP Address?]

Robert L. Cochran Jr. cochranb at clark.net
Sat Dec 23 00:10:36 UTC 2000

I want to say thanks to "Tracker" for suggesting I start named using an
ip-up script. The script gets executed just after ppp0 is activated. By
starting named through if-up, it can now detect my ppp0 connection and
listen on it.

I was really confused about this because using

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/named.pid`

after starting ppp0 would reload named but it still would not detect and
then listen on my ppp0 connection. Yes I did suspect ppp0 had to be
active for named to detect it, but kill -HUP didn't seem to work. The
simple suggestion offered by Tracker is not in the DNS and Bind book (by
Albitz and Liu) which I've been closely following since registering my
domain.

Thanks

Bob Cochran