unapproved AXFR

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 8 01:07:07 UTC 2000

Michael Lahr wrote:

> Could someone tell me what is the problem here?
> There is no "minag.de" entry in named.conf
>
> And if i ask via nslookup for www.minag.de, it gives the wrong answer.

More information is needed. How is your nameserver configured? Is it on the
Internet? Does it forward?

> Dec  7 13:57:37 ns named[7099]: unapproved AXFR from [194.231.36.195].2793
> for "minag.de" (not master/slave)

This may be a completely separate problem. Did you issue a "ls minag.de" from
nslookup to your nameserver? If so, then this log message is completely
expected, since only masters or slaves can answer an "ls" command (otherwise
known as an AXFR query). If no "ls" command was sent to your nameserver, then
this error indicates that some nameserver on 194.231.36.195 is trying to be a
slave for the minag.de zone from your server, and the zone transfer is
failing because your nameserver is neither a master nor a slave for that
zone.

- Kevin