Intermittent failures

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 6 23:22:04 UTC 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 05:21:22PM -0500, Matt Campbell wrote:

> I didn't include the CNAME because it isn't just one, and I didn't polute
> the message in case it was a common error and I just had done something
> stupid.... but here is the info:
>
> CNAME -> www.ntid.rit.edu
> Server -> ns1.rit.edu
>
> The CNAME points to nissrv2.rit.edu which has an A record pointing to
> 129.21.224.172.
>
> ns1.rit.edu is the master server for our domain and does not delegate to any
> others for this request.

rit.edu	nameserver = ns3.isc.rit.edu
rit.edu	nameserver = ns1.appliedtheory.com
rit.edu	nameserver = ns2.appliedtheory.com
rit.edu	nameserver = ns3.appliedtheory.com
rit.edu	nameserver = ns1.isc.rit.edu
rit.edu	nameserver = ns2.isc.rit.edu

I tried on one of these name servers for the name server for
"ntid.rit.edu" and found that it wasn't there.  However, the CNAME
appeared to be.  When values appear and disappear, and there are
multiple servers like this, one step would be to check each one for the
values for which you're looking.

Of course, they should NOT be appearing and disappearing so quickly.
But I didn't look at the TTL of that information.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B