TTL problem?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Dec 6 13:51:50 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:

>Zillions of people upgrading from pre-8.2 to 8.2 and higher have
>misunderstood these warnings (previously the wording was "No default TTL
>set, using SOA minimum").  I think it's time for ISC or Nominum to peform a
>survey and try to find some wording that all these confused admins would
>find meaningful.

Let me suggest this message text:

   "No $TTL statement found at top of zone."

But there will probably still be confusion until Cricket Liu documents
the $TTL in the next version of his "bible".
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov