TTL problem?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Dec 5 21:19:53 UTC 2000

In article <200011210510.eAL5AbG98400 at drugs.dv.isc.org>,
 <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:

>	If you specify a "$TTL 3600" you will suppress this warning
>	which is just there to say that you are getting behaviour that
>	is different from BIND 8.
>
>	Alternatively you could just set ctx->warn_1035 to ISC_FALSE in
>	lib/dns/master.c where it is currently set to ISC_TRUE.  This
>	really needs to be a config file option.

Zillions of people upgrading from pre-8.2 to 8.2 and higher have
misunderstood these warnings (previously the wording was "No default TTL
set, using SOA minimum").  I think it's time for ISC or Nominum to peform a
survey and try to find some wording that all these confused admins would
find meaningful.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA