BIND8.2.2 - Slave servers don't update NS records

Aleksey Varzhel lesha12 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 12:51:44 UTC 2000

Hello,

I am running BIND8.2.2 on Linux Mandrake and experiencing the following
problem.

I have added a couple of subdomains to my domain to create virtual hosts.
After editing a zone file these subdomains become visible from the local
network but slave NS servers could not resolve queries for new subdomains
and as a result they are not accessible from machines out of local network.

I have read about similar problems in the mail-archive but it didn't help to
solve the issue.

Below are my config files for the appropriate zone.
named.conf:
options {
             directory "/var/named";
             forwarders {
                     194.84.23.125;
                     193.232.88.17;
             };
             dump-file "named_dump.db";
             listen-on { 194.84.143.133; 127.0.0.1 ; };

         /* I know it is redundant but just in case */
         also-notify {
            194.84.23.125;
            193.232.88.17;
            };

     };

     //
     // Boot file for name server
     //
     zone "." {
             type hint;
             file "named.ca";
     };

zone "local" {
             type master;
         notify no;
         file "nnamed.local";
     };
     zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
             type master;
         notify no;
             file "nnamed.rev-local";
     };

     zone "inetcafe.ru" {
             type master;
         notify yes;
         file "nnamed.inetcafe.ru";
     };

     zone "143.84.194.in-addr.arpa" {
             type master;
             notify no;
             file "nnamed.rev-inetcafe.ru";
     };

nnamed.inetcafe.ru:

$TTL 24H
@    IN      SOA    inetcafe.ru.  hostmaster.inetcafe.ru. (
                               199901130     ;
                                  8H         ; Refresh
                                  2H         ; Retry
                                  1W         ; Expire
                                  1D         ; Default TTL (Time To Live)
                  )
            IN      NS      dixxy.inetcafe.ru.
            IN      NS      ns.rosprint.net.
            IN      NS      ns2.rosprint.net.
            IN      MX      10 dixxy    ; Primary Mail Exchanger
dixxy       IN      A       194.84.143.133
mail        IN      CNAME   dixxy
ns          IN      CNAME   dixxy
www         IN      CNAME   dixxy
ftp         IN      CNAME   dixxy
; Three records below are my virual hosts
www.jaba    IN      A       194.84.143.133
www.sotox   IN      A       194.84.143.133
www.svinuh  IN      A       194.84.143.133
localhost   IN      A       127.0.0.1
loopback    IN      A       127.0.0.1

After starting daemon I got no failures except "suppressing duplicate
notify" ( because of "also-notify" in named.conf ).
Also I see messages from slave servers:
Dec  6 14:22:27 dixxy named[2889]: Received NOTIFY answer from 194.84.23.125
for "inetcafe.ru IN SOA"
Dec  6 14:22:27 dixxy named[2889]: Received NOTIFY answer from 193.232.88.17
for "inetcafe.ru IN SOA"

Of course I updated serial number in the nnamed.inetcafe.ru

I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this problem.

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Aleksey.