bind vs djbdns

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 24 18:32:53 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 06:49:53PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
>     Bill> Only (relatively) recently has bind had the support that you
>     Bill> mention.
>
> True, but even before then the software was supported by the OS
> vendors who shipped it. At least notionally.

Maybe "the support that you mention", but this mailing list/newsgroup,
and Cricket's book and company, and many others have always been
available to the public.

>     Bill> A monoculture codebase has its own problems. I am greatful
>     Bill> that lucent, microsoft, ultradns, cisco, and even djb have
>     Bill> contributed to the DNS "genepool".
>
> Yup. As you've said before, diversity is good. I agree. Having other
> implementations and different perspectives on how to run a name server
> is a Good Thing. It's a shame for the net that none of the products
> you've mentioned has so far found its way on to something important
> like a root or TLD server. Maybe that's down to inertia, or lack of
> maturity, or robustness or support or some combination of these?
>
> Some of the products you mention are disguised versions of BIND. IIUC
> the Lucent and Cisco offerings are just BIND with a slick GUI and some
> proprietary extensions, though I hope that's not being unduly glib or
> dismissive of those products.

BIND 8 was certainly getting complicated.  BIND 9 started with a
complete re-write.  What little I have seen was excellent (I haven't
had time to look at it all, yet).  I suspect that there will be some
problems with the new features, but (unfortunately) when has that not
been the case?

No longer monocultural even within itself!  ;-}

> Speaking of monoculture codebases, it would be nice if there was a
> viable alternative to IOS and Cisco's implementation of routing
> protocols for a significant chunk of the world's routers.

Juniper <www.juniper.net>?  Lucent/Xedia <www.xedia.com>?  Blue Ridge
Skyline [previously Storagetek BorderGuard and NSC SR-04 Security
Router] <www.blueridgenetworks.com>?  And significant others.

Not that any have quite the market penetration ... but all have
different internal software, and all are excellent in their niches and
perhaps generally.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B