Ref: Configurating more than one domain in the same server.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 23 00:49:30 UTC 2000

You pick one of the names and point the PTR to it. You could theoretically add
PTR's for *all* of the names pointing to the address, but AFAIK no
resolver/application looks past the first record in the response, so why
bother? It would just bloat your response packets for no good reason.

If it bothers you to have A records with no matching PTR's, then convince your
users/customers/clients that they don't need the capability to access the
website by the domain name alone. Then you can just have the "www" names as
aliases to one single A record and have the PTR point back to that One True
Name. But practically speaking, it doesn't really matter if you have A records
with no matching PTR's, especially if your machines are the servers (generally
it's the server which does reverse lookups of clients, not the other way
around). Even if your boxes sometimes act as clients to servers which do a
"double-lookup" authentication check, it doesn't matter if you have A records
with no matching PTR's: what matters in that case is that your PTR has a
matching A record, i.e. the opposite relation.

- Kevin