NDC vs. kill -HUP

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Aug 21 14:34:08 UTC 2000

> 	Sorry for the delay, had to check the test server at the office...
>
> 	Yes, I'm using the ndc from the bind 8.2.2p5 source tarball,
> and using channel mode (-c to the channel) and it doesnt restart named
> with the original arguments. Checking the ndc code, the command() function
> calls builtincmd(), and thats where "restart" is processed as 2 calls,
> stop_named(pid) and start_named(pid). So the restart code in named does
> not seem to be called from anywere in ndc...

	Any arguments after restart (or start) are passed to named.

	e.g. ndc restart -u named -g named -t /var/jail/named

	And if you have linked against a broken getopt() you need
	to explictly stop option processing.

	e.g. ndc -- restart -u named -g named -t /var/jail/named

	Some of named's arguement are not reversable, so in general,
	it is impossible to get named to re-exec itself.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com