NDC vs. kill -HUP

Jesus Couto jesus.couto at innosec.es
Fri Aug 18 10:19:25 UTC 2000

A question about ndc using channels...

Looking at the man page, it says:

"If running in channel mode, there is no start command and the restart
command just tells the name server to execvp(2) itself"

and looking at ns_main.c, it seems (to one that has like 5 years of dust
on his C knowledge) that named saves the argument vector it was called
with and execvp itself with that vector. And that would get a fresh named
running with the same pid.

But it doesnt work. Every time I do restart via ndc on a named process
started with some arguments (like, -u, -g, -t, whatever), it just stop the
server, starts a new one that gets a new PID and doesnt use any of the
original arguments unless I pass them to restart (something that the ndc
man page seems to imply its only useful if ndc is in "pid mode")

So, what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe its that restart isnt exercising that
part of the code? Dunno, I would have to dig more into bind code to find
that out, but if somebody knows the answer already...

					Jesus Couto F.