duplicate cache entry from nil

Nicholas Ritter anritter at home.com
Mon Aug 14 23:43:10 UTC 2000

Kevin-

Thanks, that did the trick.

I ended up replacing my hints file with the one from my old DNS. Initially I
was using the hints file found in the BIND 8.2.2P5 source, then I tried the
one from ftp.rs.internic.net.

The dig option that you mention revealed some diffs between my initial hint
file and the actual data coming from the dig query. All is well now....thanx
again for the info and the suggestions.

>            The hints file is used to "prime" the nameserver, i.e. it uses
it to query the list of root nameservers, and it is the result of this query
which actually forms the root zone which named uses for resolving subsequent
> queries. That's why there are 2 entries for '.' in the dump: one for the
hints file, type 3 (= "hints"), with the hints filename as the source, and
one for the root zone which is synthesized from the "priming" query
response, type 6 (=
> "cached"), source "Nil". This is all perfectly normal.
>
> Looks like something is going wrong with the "priming" operation on your
box, with the result that your nameserver has no usable root zone
information at all. You should first verify the contents of your hints file.
If that's okay,
> then try doing a "dig +norec . ns @a.root-servers.net" (you can change
a.root-servers.net to any of the servers in your hints file, if you wish)
from your box, and see what you get. That mimics what your nameserver is
doing when it