duplicate cache entry from nil

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 14 22:23:03 UTC 2000

Nicholas,
                The hints file is used to "prime" the nameserver, i.e. it uses it to query the list of root nameservers, and it is the result of this query which actually forms the root zone which named uses for resolving subsequent
queries. That's why there are 2 entries for '.' in the dump: one for the hints file, type 3 (= "hints"), with the hints filename as the source, and one for the root zone which is synthesized from the "priming" query response, type 6 (=
"cached"), source "Nil". This is all perfectly normal.

Looks like something is going wrong with the "priming" operation on your box, with the result that your nameserver has no usable root zone information at all. You should first verify the contents of your hints file. If that's okay,
then try doing a "dig +norec . ns @a.root-servers.net" (you can change a.root-servers.net to any of the servers in your hints file, if you wish) from your box, and see what you get. That mimics what your nameserver is doing when it
"primes".

                                                                                                                                                    - Kevin