Adding a New Zone...

marc marc at centraltx.com
Sun Aug 13 00:58:49 UTC 2000

I want to know what exactly I have to do in my BIND setup to add another
primary zone to my dns setup.. Essentailly I want to run another web
site off of this machine.. I have done the following..

1.) Added the appropriate entry into the named.conf and pointed it to
2.) a newly created db.file where main is my current zone and new
    is the new one:

$TTL    3600
@         IN    SOA     ns.main.org. root.new.com. (
                                20000610        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
          IN    NS      ns.main.org.

www       IN    A       <MYIP>

localhost IN    A       127.0.0.1
*.new.com.  IN MX 10 mail.main.org. ; GLOBALOK

I want all the new mail to go to the old domain... so I added the last
line...

OK, FINALLY, here's my question.. do I have to edit the in-addr-arpa
file?? If so, do I put something like:

   20   IN   PTR    ns.main.org
   20   IN   PTR    www.new.com

or, do I use a CNAME... or, am I completely off track.. =)

Thanks in advance guys, I hope I make a little sense..

-Marc