Minimum configuration of nameserver computer?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Aug 11 11:24:45 UTC 2000

    Niels> Hi can anybody tell me what the minimum configuration is to
    Niels> run BIND 8?

How long is this piece of string I'm holding?

The answer is "it depends". Unless you're operating in an extreme
environment - and you wouldn't be asking naive questions like the
above if you had one - any UNIX system is capable of running a decent
name server. DNS is not usually resource intensive, though the name
server likes to use RAM.  How much RAM it uses depends on the size of
the cache which is related to the number and frequency of the queries
it gets, how many zones it holds and how many resource records are in
those zones.

I suggest you just configure a server and set it running on your
favourite UNIX box and not worry about it after that. You might want
to keep an eye on its memory usage, just in case it grows too big, for
some definition of "too big". Since you didn't specify what sort of
hardware you wanted to use or how that name server would be configured
or what sort of query traffic it would get, it's hard to provide
advice other than vague generalities.