SRV record promotion (was: DNS & portnumbers)

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Aug 11 01:55:34 UTC 2000

> Hello,
>
> Once again, SRV records came up...
>
> > > Maybe a strange question, but is it possible to make an entry in the
> > > DNS for a certain host, to let it connect on a certain port?
> >
> > The good news is that SRV records allow you to specify a port number,
> > as well as a name, with a particular service location.
> >
> > The bad news is that SRV-aware web clients are probably years away and
> > there is no other way for DNS to express port number information.
>
> I've been disgruntled by thae lack of client support ever since I learnt
> about SRV records. Actually, I was at the verge of reinventing the SRV
> wheel when I discovered them!
>
> I think it is most important to attract attention to SRV records; I just
> wrote an article on Domain Hosting for the magazine "Linux Journal",
> popular among developers as well as sysadmins in the Linux community,
> and took the chance to dwell on SRV records. Let's hope it makes people
> see the usefulness of the things!
>
> I set up a sort of "SRV promotion" website, featuring a (currently very
sad) list of supporting tools; please tell me if you have anything to
> add! I'm trying to break the cyclic reasoning of not using SRV records
> because they're not used. Help out if you can!
>
> The stuff is at:
> 	http://dns.vanrein.org/srv
> 	http://dns.vanrein.org/srv/tools
>
> Cheers,
> Rick van Rein.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

	Rick, the fastest way to get SRV records for http will be
	to write a RFC describing how to use SRV records with http.
	That way there is a agreed standard that browsers, proxies
	and servers can use. The are a number of RFCs / internet-drafts
	that describe SRV usage with other protocols.

	Given you appear to be passionate about SRV and http, and
	getting a RFC through the process requires a champion I am
	going to suggest that you write one.  I'm willing to critique
	and provide editorial feedback.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.