SRV record promotion (was: DNS & portnumbers)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 10 22:42:45 UTC 2000

Well, to be perfectly blunt, I think one of the major barriers to
acceptance is that SRV records are *BUTT-UGLY* in master-file format, and
this is rather unappealing to those folks who would be maintaining them.
This is not an inherent deficiency in SRV records _per_se_, but rather a
result of trying to cram too much information into a rigid, text-oriented
file format. Front-ended Dynamic Update tools and/or BIND 9's ability to
use alternative backend databases should make this only a temporary
problem...

By the way, you should update your site to reflect the supercession of
RFC 2052 by RFC 2782.

- Kevin