Strange Zone Errors :(

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 10 05:25:44 UTC 2000

Okay, let me see if I have this straight:

1. nameservers get the "real" NS'es (stargate and yoda in this case)
2. the corresponding A records happen to expire from the cache earlier than the
NS'es themselves
3. these A records wouldn't be obtainable from the parent servers because they,
i.e. the parent servers, would have no way of knowing that they, i.e. the
A records for the "real" NS'es, were necessary glue records; and the delegation
NS'es (dns1 and dns2) from the parents would never replace the "real" NS'es as
long as they are cached because the "real" ones are more credible, right?
4. Therefore deadlock occurs (at least until the NS'es expire from the cache and
the cycle starts all over again).

Did I get it?

I wonder if there's an easier-to-comprehend way of explaining this, so that it can
be promulgated and folks will understand that it's more than just a
"hygenic" issue...

- Kevin