strange issue resolving A records

Rob Egan rob at artistdirect.com
Thu Aug 3 23:58:43 UTC 2000

Hi,

I have a primary DNS server that is authoritative for about 600 domains.
This server has two secondary servers. Of the 600 domains, 598 of them work
great. However, 2 of them have strange errors that I cannot figure out. If I
do nslookup on "winterlanddirect.com" from my internal DNS server
(completely unrelated to the primary server in question), I get the correct
answer. However, if I do nslookup on "www.winterlanddirect.com" I get a
non-existent host/domain response. If I set the server to
"dns.artistdirect.com" (which is the primary nameserver for that domain),
and make the same two queries, I get correct responses both times. Same with
the secondaries (pins.artistdirect.com, and ns1.artistdirect.com). My
question is, why can't my other nameservers correctly resolve the A record
for www.winterlanddirect.com? Below is the zone file from my primary server
for winterlanddirect.com...

; winterlanddirect.com
@	IN	SOA	dns.artistdirect.com. root.artistdirect.com. (
			2000080301 ; serial (YYYYMMDDNN)
			10800 ; refresh [ 3h]
			3600 ; retry [ 1h]
			3600000 ; expire [42d]
			86400 ) ; minimum ttl [ 1d]

		IN	NS	dns.artistdirect.com.
		IN	NS	pins.artistdirect.com.
		IN	NS	ns1.artistdirect.com.

		IN	MX	10 stella.artistdirect.com.

		IN	A	198.187.41.216

www		IN	CNAME	@
news		IN	A	216.35.28.171
;

The only odd thing I can see is that if I do a dig from my internal
nameserver (i.e. "dig www.winterlanddirect.com a") it comes back with a
"status: NXDOMAIN" in the answer section (which I never see in correct
digs). Any clues?

-Rob