Domain names listing for all top-level domains

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 3 23:49:57 UTC 2000

    >> For example a corporation would like to know what sites have
    >> registered domain names with the trademark in it, for example
    >> company.com, companysucks.com, companystinks.com, etc. The
    >> catch is they need to know how as the domain regardless of if
    >> the domain is active or not.

How do you propose to do that for every language, dialect and slang
term on the planet? This is a lot harder than you think, even if you
could analyse every TLD. Even "standard" English has complex
ambiguities and differences. For instance, a few years ago company
sold vacuum cleaners in the UK with the slogan "nothing sucks like an
Electrolux". Only the people who understood American English
appreciated that error. This example is typical of the subtle language
issues that your proposed search has to fully understand. Personally,
I'd tell a company who worried about the abuse of their name not to
worry. Wait for an unacceptable name to appear and then use the
existing legal mechanisms to deal with it. Just as the company would
respond to a case of conterfeit goods/services or slander.

Incidentally by the time you'd gone through every TLD, it would have
taken so long that the analysis would already be out of date. New
names will have been added and old ones removed. Completing that
search would be like painting the Forth Bridge. Once the crew has
finished painting it, it's time to start from the beginning all over
again.