question regarding REverse lookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 31 22:44:05 UTC 2000

When a client resolves a name into an address, that's a *forward* lookup, not a
reverse one. If you want
"test.perflogic.com" and "dev.perflogic.com" to resolve to an IP address, then
they need to be added to the "perflogic.com" *forward* DNS zone. Note, however,
that they could be added as *aliases* to, say, something in the
"eimproving.com" zone, which you control. Then you could change the addresses
whenever you want without bothering US West. But they would have to intially
create those aliases.

Changing the reverse records has nothing to do with how "test.perflogic.com" or
"dev.perflogic.com" resolve, and even if BIND accepted "perflogic.com" names in
the "eimproving.com" zone -- which it doesn't -- it wouldn't do you any good
anyway, since no nameserver knows to ask your nameserver about those names;
they would always ask the US West nameservers.

- Kevin