Ear Nose Lopped Off

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 31 22:42:44 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 09:18:43PM +0000, stanbush at my-deja.com wrote:
> Thanks for reading this post.
> A few quick questions... quick yes/no where applicable will be fine.
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> 1. Installed 8.2 over 4.?.  on NT4.0 SP6.  Did I/Do I need to uninstall
> 4.??
>    if yes... where... how... etc...

Ah.  MSW-NT.  Now the subject line is clear.
I know that somebody else knows the answer and will tell you.
I would suggest taking the de-install and re-install quite a bit
further than that, of course.  ;-}

> 2. I have a message in event viewer that "directory . is world
> writeable"  uhh... I know that can't be good.  What do I do.

Make it not so.  However MSW-NT does that.  Is it still 'ATTRIB'?  Or
this new thing I see, 'CACLS'?

> 3. Another message is "can't open path\to\named.conf" .  I would
> presume this is a permissions thing?

I suspect that there is a config file or a startup file that has,
literally, "path\to\named.conf" in it.  You have to change it to the
real pathname, e.g., D:\UnixLikeStuff\etc\named.conf

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B