Who is using my Nameserver

McNair, Dan DMcNair at dgexchange.dg.com
Thu Aug 31 13:53:15 UTC 2000

For what you want, logging to the syslog facility may not be the best way to go.  It will just create a lot of clutter in your syslog files.  If you are using BIND 8, then instead of fooling with syslog you should be able to use:

logging {

        channel my_queries_file {
                file "/var/run/log.queries" versions 3 size 100k;
                severity info;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
        };

 	  category queries { my_queries_file; };
};

(in named.conf)

In my named.conf this had to go before the options statement, but I do not know if that is true for all ports of BIND.

Then force the server to reload named.conf.  Make sure /var/run exists and is writeable by named, or use some other absolute path of your choice.  The queries are logged at level "info" so you should not have to turn on debugging.

You should see queries logged to the file /var/run/log.queries.

See _DNS_and _BIND_ chapter 8 for more details.

--Dan