newbie ques re bind & namevirtualhost

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 30 17:51:28 UTC 2000

Yes, one of the problems of having multiple names point to the same
address is that it creates a reverse-lookup ambiguity -- to which of
those names should the PTR point? Generally, though, if you're running a
server, it doesn't really matter if your reverse record points to only
*one* of the names by which you are known, since no application
AFAIK does a forward lookup, followed by a reverse lookup, and then
tries to match the two; generally it's a *server* that looks up a
*client's* IP address, i.e. the reverse lookup is first, then does a
forward lookup on the name to verify that it matches the address. And
that works fine with many-A's-but-only-one-PTR.

Another approach is to just pick one of the names to be the "true" name
and make the others aliases to it. Then the PTR just points back to the
"true" name. Be aware, though, that you can't use aliases on the
right-hand side of things like NS records, MX records, etc.. You'll have
to use the "true" name for that. This might affect your decision of
which name should be the "true" name, e.g. you might want the "myns"
name to be the A record. This is why it's common to see a whole bunch of
aliases in a zone pointing to the nameserver's A record.

- Kevin