newbie ques re bind & namevirtualhost

tk dev tk_dev at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 09:58:14 UTC 2000

dear all

i apologise if my ques is too simple, but i just don't
know what to do. pls help.

i've read the first few chapters from "dns & bind"-3rd
edition,oreilly.

the samples given in the book showed the ns, hosts
with different i.p.
in my case, i've one machine & one ethernet card.i'm
running suse6.4 with named8.2.2-P5 & ..bind8-8.2.2 (i
got this from
#named -v)

my ques :
1.can i assign more than 1 i.p. on that ethernet card?

2.can my name server be in the same machine with the
same ip as all my virtualhosts(web)?

3.since i used name-based virtual hosts, i'm confused
as to how to configure the db files?

let's say my ns is called myns.domain.com.(10.0.0.20)
my virtualhosts to be:
  - host1.domain.com \
  - host2.domain.com -  all with the same i.p.
  - h1.domain2.com   /  e.g. for test 10.0.0.20

in db.domain.com
can i have
#name server
@  IN NS myns.domain.com.

#addr for canonical names
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
myns      IN A 10.0.0.20
host1     IN A 10.0.0.20
host2     IN A 10.0.0.20

-I'M a very confused here if different names point to
1 ip, i.e. 1 addr will also points to different names
in the PTR record, then all will be jumbled
up!!(inclusive of the fact that h1.domain2.com. will
also points to 10.0.0.20)

Pls help! i'm really at a standstill right now.

thanks in advance for all your help.
bye
tk

=====
0Oo~~:o)
Smile! You'r Alive!!!

Q:What's peacefulness?
A:What's confusion? Peacefulness is the end of confusion.

o.0.Oo.o May there be peace in every step we take :o):tk