Best Reverse lookup config, APNIC vs RIPE.

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 27 17:21:43 UTC 2000

% Which one of the two is better?

	Better for what?

% Please let me know if my understanding below is correct.
%
% I believe that APNIC's is more correct, structured and follows the DNS
% ethos.

	It is more stuctured. Such structures allow for more diversity,
	finer granularity and other benefits. A liability is that
	each delegation point must have operational understanding.

% I believe that RIPE's is faster as there is no need to do the
% extra recursion to find the authorative NS for 213.158.130 as there is no
% delegation in that 203.in-addr.arpa zone.

	The extra recursion occurs... at bus speed.
	There are downsides to this aproach as well.

%
% I believe that APNIC's is slower, uses more CPU and bandwidth as to find
% the authorative NS for a network 203.185.15 will have to recurse through
% 203.185->15
%
% Or does BIND actually handle them identically?

	BIND, as a DNS implementation, handles both cases, but not
	quite identically.  Neither violates the DNS ethos, as I
	understand it. BIND supports both these models (and used to
	support a couple others) as each serves differing operational
	practices. So, neither is intrinsically better or worse.

--
--bill