Best Reverse lookup config, APNIC vs RIPE.

Maren S. Leizaola leizaola at sarnic.hk.com
Thu Apr 27 16:19:34 UTC 2000

Hi,
	I've just examined the two configurations of networks
213.in-addr.arpa (RIPE) and 203.in-addr.arpa.

RIPE for this network have configured all the delegations in a single zone
file and specify two octets in the zone file to delegate a single class
'C' Eg. :

130.158                 5D IN NS        ns.arpanet.ch.
                        5D IN NS        ns2.arpanet.ch.
                        5D IN NS        domc1.arpanet.ch.
129.158                 5D IN NS        ns.arpanet.ch.
                        5D IN NS        ns2.arpanet.ch.
                        5D IN NS        domc1.arpanet.ch.

which are equal to networks 213.158.130 and 213.158.129

APNIC at the top level only list the octet and delegate each network back
to themselves.

185.203.IN-ADDR.ARPA.   4D IN NS        svc00.apnic.net.
                        4D IN NS        ns.apnic.net.

Which one of the two is better?

Please let me know if my understanding below is correct.

I believe that APNIC's is more correct, structured and follows the DNS
ethos.

I believe that RIPE's is faster as there is no need to do the
extra recursion to find the authorative NS for 213.158.130 as there is no
delegation in that 203.in-addr.arpa zone.

I believe that APNIC's is slower, uses more CPU and bandwidth as to find
the authorative NS for a network 203.185.15 will have to recurse through
203.185->15

Or does BIND actually handle them identically?

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct or not.

Regards,
Maren.