DNS running on a IP alias doesn't work!! Please help!

Tony Earnshaw tonye at ilion.nl
Tue Apr 18 12:41:12 UTC 2000

Didi wrote:

> So here my questions:
> How can I run a DNS-Server on a alias defined IP-Adress? Has somebody
> experience with DNS running on a alias defined IP-Adress? Thanks in
> advance!!

dig frey.ilion.nl - it's on 195.81.20.24, is our master nameserver,
running BIND 8.2.2-P5. Only the rest of the Internet doesn't think it's
our master nameserver yet, it thinks that that's fsnl2.ilion.nl,
195.81.20.2.

So, we aliased the same NIC as frey runs on with fsnl2's IP number - and
the rest of the Internet is satisfied.

In other words, aliasing a NIC doesn't make a halfpenny's worth of
difference to 8.8.2, at any rate - it works perfectly well. I don't
believe it would to 4.9.7, either.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw