CName Terminology Question

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at tmca.com.au
Fri Apr 14 01:44:08 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> I recommend using CNAMEs whenever it doesn't conflict with a restriction
> against using CNAMEs, so that you don't have to have redundant entries.
> The restrictions are that a name with a CNAME record can't have any other
> records (this is why an SOA can't be a CNAME as well) and recorders that
> point to other names can't point to CNAME records.

<self indulgence>
After reading Barry' reply (thanks Barry), I was still not quite convinced why we
have the CNAME construct - if we can do the same using A records, why bother to have
CNAMEs since they have so many restrictions.  I went on to read the dialog between
Barry, Kevin and Mark on the subject of delegating classless reverse zone and try to
figure out what the hell they are talking about.  Then suddenly it clicked.
</self indulgence>

CNAME is immensely useful in out of zone referral (correct terminology?).

Sorry to answer my own question.  It was not intended.  Just want to share it with
those who have similar question bothering them.  Thanks Barry and Kevin and Mark and
others.  You guys are great.

--
Stanley Liu
stanley.liu at tmca.com.au