BIND - named crashes

peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu
Thu Apr 13 18:36:20 UTC 2000

Ed Zimmermann <edz at iswest.net> wrote:
> I'm running BIND 8.2.2-P5 - Pent166  96meg  on BSDI 4.0

> One  crashes every night the only comon element I found is in the log
> file:
> Apr  8 04:48:44 ns1 named[4761]:  savedata:  memget

> We have three server all built the same, about 2,000 zone records.
> I took another server, promoted it to NS1 and found that the problem
> stayed with the primary server. (NS1)
> Our total queries are about 70k an hour. CPU is for named is 2% on
> average

> Do I need more RAM memory?  Hard disk space is over 60% avail.

Start looking if limits for datasize is at default
(sweet% limit datasize
datasize        16384 kbytes ), increase if your DNS is anywhere
near 16meg in size. (output of "top" will do)
If limit is to low, bind will crash. Change this, a good place is
/etc/login.conf, the section "daemon" (used by daemons, will be
activated next reboot).

Also check if you have a decent amount of "free memory" (also in top)
If free memory is low, pagingh starts, and eventually processes
will be starved of memory. Correct if needed by installing more
mem and increase swap.

Peter h

> Regards
> Ed Zimmermann
> Network Operations Manager
> ISWEST.NET

Peter Håkanson
        Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
echo "peter (at) manet (dot) nu" | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"