BIND - named crashes

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Apr 13 02:08:10 UTC 2000

> I'm running BIND 8.2.2-P5 - Pent166  96meg  on BSDI 4.0
>
> One  crashes every night the only comon element I found is in the log
> file:
> Apr  8 04:48:44 ns1 named[4761]:  savedata:  memget
>
> We have three server all built the same, about 2,000 zone records.
> I took another server, promoted it to NS1 and found that the problem
> stayed with the primary server. (NS1)
> Our total queries are about 70k an hour. CPU is for named is 2% on
> average
>
> Do I need more RAM memory?  Hard disk space is over 60% avail.

	You need to allow the process to access more memory.

		options { datasize 128M; };

	would set the per process limit to 128 Mb.  Use limit to see
	what the default limits are.

	NOTE: named performs badly if it can't get roughly the same
	amount of real memory as virtual memory.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com