Ancient BIND version?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 11 20:13:57 UTC 2000

Treptow, Craig wrote:

> dig @<nameserver> version.bind txt chaos
>
> nslookup
> > set class=chaos
> > set type=txt
> > version.bind.

That only works with later versions of BIND 4, and, besides, if the
version string were already in the binary, I think "what" would have
shown it (at least it does on the old 4.9.3-P1 binary I tried). Judging
by the RCS/SCCS information (they don't even say "vixie"!), I'd say this
is probably circa BIND 4.8.3, which is too old to have the version.bind
hack. Unfortunately, I don't have any 4.8.3 binaries around to verify
this...

We appear to have a _bona_fide_ relic on our hands, friends. Maybe the
binary can be donated to the Smithsonian.

Did you say this was actually *running* on one of your servers? I bet it
really heats up those vacuum tubes.

- Kevin