dns wont resolve outside domain

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Apr 11 00:04:03 UTC 2000

> Wade Grant wrote:
>
> > I have installed 4.9.4p1 and plan to upgrade to 8.2.2p5
> > soon. The problem right now is that hosted domains will resolve find
> > when the server is queried. Outside domains will not resolve.  I have
> > the latest named.root.
>
> Have you verified that you can actually resolve queries from Internet
> nameservers, including the root servers? Sometimes there are firewall
> rules and/or router filters which need to be tweaked. If your server is
> configured to resolve Internet names directly, but can't, there should
> be lots of indications of this in your logfiles. Take a look.
>

> - Kevin

	As Kevin said this is usually the result of the fact that BIND 8
	uses a random UDP port for its queries and BIND 4 used port 53.

	Firewalls set up for BIND 4 do not always work w/ BIND 8.
	Adjust your firewall and/or use query-souce to set the port BIND 8
	uses.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com