Limits imposed on dnssigner.

Brian Wellington bwelling at tislabs.com
Fri Apr 7 14:20:02 UTC 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Roy Arends wrote:

> We're currently running a signing session (bind v9 signer) on a zone with
> aproximatly 5 meg RRs (3 meg RRsets), which is a real-life large ccTLD
> zone. The unsigned zone file is 232 MByte. After we've assigned enough
> swap to the signer's machine, we're running into another limit. The system
> is running FreeBSD 3.4 stable on a 386 class processor (AMD Athlon). This
> imposes a Max datasize of 1G.
>
> Is there a way to run signer without running into these limits ?

The signer uses the same backend storage as the server, so even if the
signer could sign the zone, you couldn't do anything with it.  I imagine
there will be some thought put into the "really big zone" problem, which
is far more common with signed zones, but it's not a high priority at the
moment (at least, it's not one of mine).

The 1G limit seems low.  An x86 processor has a 4G address space, which is
usually split as 1G kernel/3G user.  If you can only use 1G (and not 3G),
that's either an OS limitation or misconfiguration.

Brian